Re: [spfbis] [dnsext] Obsoleting SPF RRTYPE

2013-04-30 13:02:29
On Apr 30, 2013, at 12:28, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
...The basic fact that killed the SPF type is
the ability to use TXT as a replacement.  There must be an analogous
of Gresham's law:  "Bad types drive out good ones."

I disagree with the assertion that what killed SPF is "the ability to use TXT
as a replacement."   It has nothing to do with one option being superior to the
other, it was the lack of technical incentive to switch from one to the other.
I post this in the sense that if the root cause is not understood, no solution
will stick.  Here is a message with my recounting of what led us to this point:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsext/current/msg12681.html

I don't see the death of SPF has a harbinger of things to come.  There's a
strong case to be made the failure happened before 2004 and the root cause has
since been corrected by changing the RRTYPE type allocation policies.  Still
that fix was too late to ever let SPF sprout wings.

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

There are no answers - just tradeoffs, decisions, and responses.