Re: [ericas] IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-24 14:55:37
Hi Stephen,

Good answers! Now we know about what we are talking. Thank you.

My comments in the text:

Em 24/05/2013 16:19, Stephen Farrell escreveu:
In my mind at least there's a 0-th level requirement
that comes before these:

0. Make the Internet better by getting more geographically
diverse, technically good, input and participation.

Perfect!

And again you do not need to be at meetings to participate.
Email is fine.

Of course if you want to do lots of IETF stuff, then getting
to meetings becomes important.

I think this same way, so.

1. What we looking for?
1.1. Realize a IETF below the Equator line (Buenos Aires is a great option)?
1.2. Encouraging people of so-called "emerging countries" to participate
in IETF meetings (in person or remotely)?

1.2 for me. But I'm also in favour of 1.1, though at a lower
priority.

I agree.

2. Why?
2.1. (1.2) <=> (1.1)? My answer is NO!

I don't get that.

To encoraging people is necessary to realize meetings below the Equator
line? To realize meetings below the Equator line will encourage people... ?

You ask this question below when you said that geographic is not a
problem. I think so.

2.2. IETF needs more people to work? My answer is YES! Protocols are in
change, new technologies (ontologies, Semantic Web, ...), new
techniques, etc.

Sort of. I think we need more people who are technically
clueful about stuff, for a wide set of different kinds of
stuff.

Is my opinion, also.

2.3. We want more people to participate, effectively (a.k.a. Melinda
three points)? So, what do we need to do?

3. What kind of things should we discuss?
3.1. Costs of travel and stay? In the context of this can be irrelevant
(we can participate remotely...). In any place of the world, costs are
equivalent, I think.
3.2. Show what do IETF, ISOC, and others for people who do not know yet?
3.3. Food an meals in the IETF meetings?

Seems ok, but too much focus on your 3.x often distract people
on IETF lists.

Correct! :)

4. Some observations:
4.1. The personal attendance at meetings of the IETF are falling after
year 2000. See the blue line at Figure 3 (Figura 3, in Portuguese) in

The dot-com bust was the biggest factor in the decline in
numbers compared to 1999/2000. That was economic (craziness;-)
and not geographic.

OK.

http://ii.blog.br/2013/01/10/ietf-d-58-como-participar-das-reunioes-do-ietf/,
at the end. I do not know about the remote participation. The red line
is participation of Brazilians (a real disaster!)

Yeah. Mind you, the level of Irish participation is also
pretty crappy;-(

If you think that Irish has 6.5 m inhabitants and Brazil about 200 m,
Brazil is much more than a disaster... We where 5 in Orlando.

4.2. The participation of LACNIC is in the last position (2.? %).
4.3. Clearly the issues related to Infrastructure Internet are becoming
more complex. (2.2 above).

Finally, where should we discuss this? In ericas list or ietf list

I'd say generic issues here, BA specifics on the thread on the
IETF list.

Done.

Cheers,
S.