Re: Last Call: <draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-03.txt> (Resource R ecords for EUI-48 and EUI-64 Addresses in the DNS) to Proposed Standard

2013-05-29 16:56:43
Hi Ted,
At 09:53 29-05-2013, Ted Lemon wrote:
too restrained in this regard, IMHO. I would add some text to the introduction, like this:

The DNS Resource Records described in this document have significant privacy implications (see section 8). They were developed with the intention to use them in [scenario a] or [scenario b] and are likely not to be appropriate in other scenarios. In particular, they are unlikely to be appropriate for use in DNS zones hosted on globally-reachable servers that will answer any query without any access control mechanism.

Here's what I would be told: Scenario a and Scenario b do not have privacy implications as they have been reviewed by a respected organization in Canada. I would also be told that there is an Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada which is diligent [1]. I will also be told that all this has been reviewed diligently by highly respected people in the Internet Engineering Task Force.

I still do not plan to raise any objection on the draft.

Regards,
-sm

1. Out of context quote: "One issue being contended with by several data protection authorities was whether or not Media Access Control ("MAC") addresses (manufacturer-assigned codes that allow devices to speak to one another), either alone or in combination with other information, constitute personal information. The OPC did not have to address this question since it found, as a matter of fact, clear examples of personal information collected among the payload data, including complete e-mails, user names and passwords, and even medical conditions of specified individuals. However, as in the case of IP addresses, the question of whether or not MAC addresses constitute personal information is highly contextual and must be considered in conjunction with what other information is also available to different users in different circumstances.