Policy makers (was: Conclusions on South American IETF Meeting)

2013-06-20 14:39:21
At 11:00 20-06-2013, The IAOC wrote:
series of events and programs in South America. This would include:

  - Increasing the IETF Fellows and policy makers from the region

I don't see any policy makers reviewing Internet-Drafts. I don't see any policy makers writing IETF RFCs. Policy makers do not usually participate in IETF discussions.

During the diversity discussions it has been pointed out that it would be useful if there were more network operators and people who can write code participating in the IETF. What the IAB seems to be have recommended instead is to increase the number of policy makers attending IETF meetings.

I am reminded of a sentence from Patrik Fältström: "And to some degree there might be parties that see the lack of progress as a good thing...". I hope that the IAB is not one of these parties as it might be seen as using the IETF for its political convenience.

Regards,
-sm