Re: IAOC Website Updated

2013-06-25 15:27:24
Tom,

On 25/06/2013 22:48, t.p. wrote:
The main impression that this page has on me is that this is a part of
the IETF,

Yes. It is a committee set up by the IETF (with help from ISOC).

The very brief description - "the fiscal and administrative support" -
makes me think of taxes (and tax avoidance)

The word "fiscal" means either pertaining to taxes or pertaining to
financial matters. It's quite appropriate - the IAOC oversees the budget,
and would undoubtedly oversee the handling of any tax matters that came
up despite ISOC's not-for-profit status.

while the link to an RFC,
which starts with loads of irrelevant - to the likely reader of this
page (I assume someone relatively new to the work of this SDO) -

I don't see that at all. The Introduction of the RFC gives a
pretty good summary of IASA's job and the IAOC's role. Anyway,
this is not particularly intended for newcomers. We don't even
mention IASA on the newcomers page. Do you think we should?

boilerplate is enough to make anyone reach for the off-switch, and
guaranteed to do so if they get as far as IAD, IASA, ISOC, etc.
Alphabet
soup indeed!

I have tried - and failed - to produce a paragraph which summarises what
IAOC is.

To my mind the phrase "The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee"
is completely self defining, as in "The IETF Administrative Oversight
Committee oversees the administration of the IETF."

OOPS Ray - fix that "Oversite" typo!!!! And the sentence should
also state that IAOC is part of IASA.

I would start with the need of the IETF for e-mail and web
servers, and a few other bits and pieces such as legal advice and
ownership of rights, then the need for money to fund that, where the
money comes from and how the expenditure is supervised and where ISOC
fits into that - but not an RFC in sight - or site.  This would not need
to mention the IAD but cannot, IMO, avoid IASA.

That belongs on the About page rather than the Home page. I agree it would
make sense to mention technical support there as well as pure admin support.

   Brian