Re: [IETF] Re: Appeal Response to Abdussalam Baryun regarding draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-sec-threats

2013-07-03 12:02:50
On Jul 3, 2013, at 12:32 PM, Pete Resnick
<presnick(_at_)qti(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 7/2/13 6:37 PM, l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk wrote:
Do we have any statistics on how many appeals to the IESG fail and how many
succeed?

My quick read of http://www.ietf.org/iesg/appeal.html:

Accepted: 6
Denied: 25
Withdrawn: 1

One appellant appealed 12 times and all of the appeals were denied. One
appellant appealed 4 times, all denied. One appellant appealed 3 times, all
denied.

At least two of the accepted appeals resulted in a different remedy than
requested by the appellant (i.e., adding an IESG Note to a document instead
of making other changes or rejecting the document).

At least two of the denied appeals were on strictly procedural grounds; one
came over two months after the action, one was appealing an IAB decision that
was out of jurisdiction for the IESG to decide.

Interpret the above as you see fit.

Thank you -- another worthwhile thing to do is look at who all has appealed and
ask yourself "Do I really want to be part of this club?"

Other than a *very* small minority of well known and well respected folk the
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/appeal.html page is basically a handy kook reference.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478

--
It is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe.  It is equally vain
to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead.