Re: making our meetings more worth the time/expense (was: Re: setting a goal for an inclusive IETF)

2013-07-31 11:09:51
Hi Barry,

Sorry for long meesage,

I will give you a real example which I experienced that includes my request
regarding a WG ietf draft that has no presenter but two people in the WG
that want discuss it in meetings as below real story. I want to confirm my
statement of hidden discuss/information related to IETF work,  because
there are intentions/encourages by some to do hidden meetings, and hidden
reviews (they are acknowledged in draft with reviews that are not listed or
hidden, on the other hand, once I have not been acknowledged-listed when I
published my review even), however, I think it can be fixed in future. I am
not against the side meeting but against not documenting information
(excluding side info, and reviews, and comments, that change the work we
are doing).

 A live WG example in IETF is for this Berline-meeting: A request for
discussion was raised [1] by a participant that will attend, and I (as
remote-meeter) support for that request that I did raise [2]. The author
suggested that he has no presentation and would like time within the week
(i.e. I understand it was side meeting) to discuss with that attended
participant [3] (as hidden meeting, but still no reply to the remote
requester, was that remote participant discouraged, maybe). However, it was
nice that the first discuss-requester has added request to only do
discussions in WG meeting (not side meetings) [4].

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg15521.html
[2] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg15523.html
[3] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg15534.html
[4] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg15535.html

My comment we need to encourage the discussions to be done in the IETF, and
even if we done a discussion in a side meeting as per your examples, we
SHOULD quickly write it down into the IETF lists (as some participants do,
e.g. the chair's article of diversity done this month). My addition
comments below,

AB

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Barry Leiba