Re: Last Call: <draft-bormann-cbor-04.txt> (Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR)) to Proposed Standard

2013-08-07 03:25:26

On Aug 6, 2013, at 21:45, Joe Hildebrand <hildjj(_at_)cursive(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 8/6/13 1:11 PM, "Carsten Bormann" <cabo(_at_)tzi(_dot_)org> wrote:

If a CBOR application does require initial signature bytes for
self-description purposes, I would suggest using something like

     0xd8 0xf8 ...data item...

which decodes as tag248(data item); we could define 248 as a no-op tag.

Or a no-op simple value; we could easily pick one that did not generate a
valid first character for JSON.

Well, simple values don't have "content".
Using one as a signature would mean the data item ends right on the simple
value, and the actual payload would be a second data item.  I'd rather have a
single data item that is just (ignorably) tagged.

Yes, picking a tag number that encodes into a file signature that can't be a
valid start for JSON (or many other kinds of things, e.g. UTF-8 text) is easy,
as demonstrated above.

Grüße, Carsten