Re: Last Call: <draft-bormann-cbor-04.txt> (Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR)) to Proposed Standard

2013-08-09 20:16:21

Hi Carsten,

As a no-hats, IETF-LC comment...

On 08/10/2013 01:42 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:

Specialized binary formats like this TLV format are invented a dozen a day
all over the industry.
Each of them has their own little set of unwarranted complexities, bizarre
features, and little bugs waiting to explode in the face of their users.
Rationalizing some of them to a common base like CBOR will be a major win.

That, and some of the IETF LC discussion reminds me of BEEP. [1]
While CBOR also seems sensible, maybe being sensible isn't
sufficient for stuff like this.

So some kind of statement that CBOR is one point in a design
space (as opposed to an optimal solution for some set of
design objectives) would be worthwhile. (Or even to make it
EXP and not PS, but to be honest I don't care much about
that distinction here.)

S.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3080