Last Call: <draft-petithuguenin-behave-turn-uris-05.txt> (Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN) Uniform Resource Identifiers) to Proposed

2013-08-13 10:03:55
From: The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
To: IETF-Announce <ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Last Call: <draft-petithuguenin-behave-turn-uris-05.txt> (Traversal
Using Relays around NAT (TURN) Uniform Resource Identifiers) to Proposed

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN) Uniform Resource Identifiers'
<draft-petithuguenin-behave-turn-uris-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2013-08-16. Exceptionally, comments
may be
sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case, please retain the

Abstract

This document specifies the syntax of Uniform Resource Identifier
(URI) schemes for the Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN)
protocol. It defines two URI schemes to provision the TURN
Resolution Mechanism [RFC5928].

As IANA designated expert for reviewing URI scheme registrations, I've been asked to approve this scheme for registration. If there is IETF consensus to publish this document, it is clear to me that the scheme should be registered.

But, in a personal capacity, not as designated reviewer, I have to ask *why* this needs to be a URI. As far as I can tell, it is intended for use only in very constrained environments, where there seems to be little value in having an identifier that can appear in all the contexts where a URI may be recognized.

The criteria for new URI schemes in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4395 include:

"New URI schemes SHOULD have clear utility to the broad Internet community, beyond that available with already registered URI schemes."
-- http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4395#section-2.1

This "utility to the broader community" is not clear to me, but I don't fully understand the intended scope of this protocol, so I could be missing something. So, in declaring consensus for this specification, I would request that this aspect at least be considered.
 be considered.

#g