What RFC 2026 says (was: Last Call: <draft-bormann-cbor-04.txt)

2013-08-13 15:14:10
At 09:25 10-08-2013, Ted Lemon wrote:
Fair point.   RFC2026 does not in fact make the distinction I made.

Here is what RFC 2026 says about proposed standards:

   A Proposed Standard specification is generally stable, has resolved
   known design choices, is believed to be well-understood, has received
   significant community review, and appears to enjoy enough community
   interest to be considered valuable.  However, further experience
   might result in a change or even retraction of the specification
   before it advances.

RFC 2026 also says that "Implementors should treat Proposed Standards as immature specifications". Specifications are rarely retracted. The community would not agree to retract an Experimental document. Trying to do that with a Proposed Standard is madness. :-)

Here is what it says about Informational documents:

   An "Informational" specification is published for the general
   information of the Internet community, and does not represent an
   Internet community consensus or recommendation.  The Informational
   designation is intended to provide for the timely publication of a
   very broad range of responsible informational documents from many
   sources, subject only to editorial considerations and to verification
   that there has been adequate coordination with the standards process
   (see section 4.2.3).

There is a bug in the above. I prefer to avoid quoting RFC 2026 nowadays as nobody really knows what RFC 2026; or to say it differently, the consensus is that there isn't any consensus about RFC 2026.