Re: WG Review: Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (stir)

2013-08-21 14:35:11

On Aug 21, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Christopher Morrow
<morrowc(_dot_)lists(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

"use a particular telephone number for an incoming call" has no obvious and

it'd actually be kind of nice if the focus was NOT on the (us)
10-digit "number", but instead on the 'identity' making the call.
There's a real chance to move beyond the '10-digit number' and to some
stronger, wider, richer sense of 'identity'... we should take that
opportunity and run with it.

To be clear, the focus is not on a 10-digit number nor numbers for any specific
country-code.  It's for the global E.164 number space.

With regard to other 'identities', if you mean non-telephone-number-based SIP
user@domain type names, the IETF has a PS RFC for that: RFC 4474.  Its adoption
rate requires double floating-point precision to detect it not being 0%. ;)

This proposed-WG is due to real-world issues in deployments using telephone
numbers, so that's been our focus scope to "fix".  As it happens, both of the
proposed STIR solutions so far have in fact addressed more than just telephone
numbers, including the user@domain type.  I've been told so long as we get it
"for free" so-to-speak, we can address them as well in our deliverables - we
just need to focus on telephone numbers since that's the problem that needs
fixin'.

no... focus on 'telephone number' is broken. Hell, it's not even
what's used in the phone system anyway... not really.

Ummm... ok, what is it you think is used in the phone system really?  Or what
better word/term would you use to label what's used in the phone system?

-hadriel