Re: draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis

2013-08-31 15:30:32
At 11:02 31-08-2013, Melinda Shore wrote:
It seems like this would be a good time for an update.  A few
comments:

. I think there are a few things that we've been taking for
  granted that everybody knows, because they did, but that
  may not longer be the case and consequently they should be
  made explicit.  One that really popped out at me while
  reading this is that we may need to be clearer that people
  are participating in the IETF as individuals and
  contributions are evaluated in that light

Yes.

. I'd like to see some mention of consensus-seeking behavior;
  that is to say, we make decisions on the basis of rough
  consensus and so the goal of discussion should be to build
  consensus rather than to "win."

As a quick reply, it may be possible to put that under Item 2 in Section 2. My preference would be to pick a comment from Ted Lemon {1]:

  "Not trying to figure out if what they said meaningfully contradicts your
   own position, and not making a sincere effort to determine if they might be
   correct in contradicting your position."

and use the above to mention "sincere effort".

. I'm not 100% comfortable with the concept of "violating
  guidelines

I added that based on a comment from Lars Eggert [2]. The word "breach" may be more appropriate. I should have used the word "consequences" for Appendix B.

. I think it was a good idea to remove text that could be
  discouraging to new participants.

There was a comment from Lars Eggert [3]:

  '"when you begin to participate in a WG, maybe approach the chairs or
   longer-term participants in order get a view on whether the issues
   you wish to discuss fit the current work of the group."
   Rationale: I HAVE seen newcomers raise issues that were either outside
   the scope, or raise them in ways that got them a bad reception, and a
   little caution about how to get the best result is IMO good.'

My preference is for that to be part of the Newcomers tutorial and/or the Tao instead of a guideline for conduct.