Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19.txt> (Sender Policy Framework (SPF) for Authorizing Use of Domains in Email, Version 1) to Proposed Standard

2013-09-02 08:57:23
John,

Either that or figure out how to make it easy enough to deploy new
RRTYPEs that people are willing to do so.

The type number is 16 bits, after all.  We're not in any danger of running
out.

We have been told on numerous occasions that one of the primary reasons for
continued use of TXT is because middleboxes, etc., do not allow new RR types
(something deprecation of the SPF RR would seem to only encourage). The number
of bits in the type field would not seem to be particularly relevant to this.

Regards,
-drc