RE: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile-04.txt> (Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Profile for 3GPP Mobile Devices) to Informational RFC

2013-09-04 10:30:59
Re-,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

De : Lorenzo Colitti [mailto:lorenzo(_at_)google(_dot_)com]
Envoyé : mercredi 4 septembre 2013 11:25
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed IMT/OLN
Cc : BINET David IMT/OLN; v6ops(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org WG; IETF Discussion
Objet : Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile-04.txt>
(Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Profile for 3GPP Mobile Devices) to
Informational RFC

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM,
<mohamed(_dot_)boucadair(_at_)orange(_dot_)com<mailto:mohamed(_dot_)boucadair(_at_)orange(_dot_)com>>
 wrote:
Ok. So maybe you can put in the draft that this profile is a profile supported
by several operators, but not necessarily endorsed by the IETF?
[Med] The document followed the IETF procedures and was benefited from the
inputs and review of IETF participants; and as such it is an IETF document. We
included text to precise this is not a standard but an informational document.
FWIW, we formally asked for guidance from the wg in Orlando (see
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/86/slides/slides-86-v6ops-9) but no comment was
made at that time.
Then state in the document that this profile is recommended by the IETF, and if
you get consensus on that, great. But the document should say *something* about
this.
[Med] What statement you would like to see added? Thanks.
Sure, but the majority are mandatory, and don't forget that some of them are
quite large (e.g., "implement RFC 6204"). Also, I believe it's not the IETF's
role to produce vendor requirements documents. The considerations that the IETF
deals with are primarily technical, and "we want this stuff from our vendors"
is not a technical issue.
[Med] With all due respect, you are keeping the same argument since the initial
call for adoption and you seem ignore we are not in that stage. That's not fair
at all.
I'm just saying it here so that everyone in the community can see it. If it's
an IETF document it has to have IETF consensus, and since I feel that the
arguments were not properly taken into account in the WG (read: ignored), I
think it's important that the community see them before we publish this
document.
[Med] This is not for all mobile hosts but for those acting as mobile CPEs. The
text is clear.
True. The document does define "cellular device" as something that's capable of
sharing WAN connectivity. I don't suppose you could pick another word than
"device" here? It's confusing, because "device" usually refers to any
engineered object. Maybe use the word "sharing" or tethering" in the name?
[Med] The use of "cellular device" is governed by the definition included in
the document:

   o  "3GPP cellular host" (or cellular host for short) denotes a 3GPP
      device which can be connected to 3GPP mobile networks or IEEE
      802.11 networks.

   o  "3GPP cellular device" (or cellular device for short) refers to a
      cellular host which supports the capability to share its WAN (Wide
      Area Network) connectivity.

and ...

   This section focuses on cellular devices (e.g., CPE, smartphones or

   dongles with tethering features) which provide IP connectivity to

   other devices connected to them.  In such case, all connected devices

   are sharing the same 2G, 3G or LTE connection.  In addition to the

   generic requirements listed in Section
2<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile-05#section-2>,
 these cellular devices have

   to meet the requirements listed below.

 Because I'm naively assuming the reader interprets this term according to the
definition provided in the document, I don't see what is confusing in such
wording.
[Med] There is running code for several features listed in this document.
Because we don't have "decent" implementations which meet the minimal set of
requirements from operators, a group of these operators decided to carry on
this effort to define a common profile. Saying that, it seems to me you want to
impose specific rules only for this document!!
But the IETF doesn't define profile documents. The IETF defines technical
standards on the basis of rough consensus and running code. What you're saying
is "since we don't have running code that does what we want, we're trying to
define a profile in the hope that someone will write the code". That's not the
way it works.
[Med] This document is not a standard. This is explicitly mentioned in the
document.