Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to savingthe Internet from the NSA

2013-09-06 08:21:22
On 9/6/13 12:54 AM, t.p. wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Hallam-Baker" <hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2013 4:56 AM

The design I think is practical is to eliminate all UI issues by insisting that encryption and decryption are transparent. Any email that can be sent encrypted is sent encrypted.

That sounds like the 'End User Fallacy number one' that I encounter all the time in my work. If only everything were encrypted, then we would be completely safe.

Actually, I disagree that this fallacy is at play here. I think we need to separate the concept of end-to-end encryption from authentication when it comes to UI transparency. We design UIs now where we get in the user's face about doing encryption if we cannot authenticate the other side and we need to get over that. In email, we insist that you authenticate the recipient's certificate before we allow you to install it and to start encrypting, and prefer to send things in the clear until that is done. That's silly and is based on the assumption that encryption isn't worth doing *until* we know it's going to be done completely safely. We need to separate the trust and guarantees of safeness (which require *later* out-of-band verification) from the whole endeavor of getting encryption used in the first place.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478