Re: pgp signing in van

2013-09-06 22:46:38
On Friday, September 06, 2013 19:12:58 Melinda Shore wrote:
On 9/6/13 7:04 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
It's not at all clear to me that "serious" trust mechanisms should be
digital at all.

They're not.

Be that as it may, we have an existence proof that
a web of trust is useful—Facebook, G+ and LinkedIn all operate on a
web of trust model, and it works well, and, privacy issues aside,
adds a lot of value.

I'm not quite sure how we got from the question of how to
do crypto better as a means to provide stronger privacy
protections to the value of Facebook, to be honest.
Possibly because of the key signing proposal.

But here's some anecdata.  Got a FB friend request from
someone I didn't know, checked him out and we seemed to have
quite a few friends in common, so I accepted.  When he did,
in fact, turn out to be a jerk I wrote to some of the
friends-in-common and it turns out that nobody knew who he
was - a few people with lax friending policies had accepted
his friend requests and that formed the basis for a bunch of
the rest of us assuming he'd be okay.

At any rate I think it's pretty clear that the semantics
of pgp signing are not agreed-upon and that's led to a
lack of clarity around individual decisions about key signing.
I find pgp useful for sloppy, casual, but easy-to-use crypto
but I certainly wouldn't want to use it as the basis for
assurances about identity, etc.

Because you trust PKI CAs so much more?

They have different problems, but are inherently less reliable than web of
trust GPG signing.  It doesn't scale well, but when done in a defined context
for defined purposes it works quite well.  With external CAs you never know
what you get.

Scott K