Re: pgp signing in van

2013-09-06 20:25:58
On 9/6/13 5:09 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
This is what I mean by "a high bar."   Signing someone's PGP key
should mean "I know this person as X," not "this person is X."

I have no idea what "should" means in this context.  It seems
to me, from looking at this discussion (as well as from other
discussions around this topic) that different people have
different trust models in mind with quite possibly no two alike.
I guess part of the question here is whether not PGP key
signatures entail the signer being willing to vouch that the
key holder is who they say they are.  I'm not sure why
"I know this person as <X>" provides much more reliability
than someone asserting their own identity.

Melinda