Re: Piling on [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-kaplan-insipid-session-id-03.txt

2013-09-12 14:51:53
Gonzalo

comments in-line (for context) below

At 05:47 AM 9/12/2013, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
Hi,

there have been several threads related to this draft and not all of
them have taken place on the IETF general list. Let's try and use this
thread to resolve the few issues that have been brought up during the
IETF LC.

1) Informational vs. Historic

This draft documents a mechanism that has been widely deployed in the
field. The goal is to have a stable reference (i.e., an RFC) to the
mechanism. Examples of groups that need to reference this mechanism are
the INSIPID WG and 3GPP, which uses it in the IMS. In order to make the
goal of the draft clear, the Abstract says the following:

   This RFC, which contains the text of an individual Internet Draft
   that was submitted originally to the DISPATCH Working Group, is
   being published now as an Informational document to provide a
   reference for later RFCs.  The mechanism defined in this document
   has been widely deployed, and is being followed in a backward-
   compatible fashion for a new Standards Track RFC in the INSIPID
   Working Group.  The original Abstract follows.

Additionally, the IETF LC said the following:

> Note that this IETF last call is not intended to form IETF consensus on
> the content of this document. Consequently, the IESG is only looking for
> comments on the value of publishing this document as-is, not for
> comments on the content of the document.

In addition, we had to decide whether the eventual RFC would be Historic
or Informational. The IETF has not been consistent in how to publish
this type of stuff in the past. Sometimes we have used Historic RFCs and
sometimes we have used Informational ones. At some point, we can have a
discussion, issue an IESG statement or an RFC explaining what to do in
these cases, and be done with it. However, at this point we do not have
consistent guidelines. The IESG had a conversation about this particular
draft. We decided to make it Informational because while RFC 2026 seems
to allow the use of Historic RFCs for this purpose, Section 6.4 talks
about Historic RFCs only in the context of Standards Track RFCs.

That was why Informational seemed a better choice.

In any case, whether this RFC becomes Informational or Historic, is a
very minor issue, IMHO. As Hadriel, editor of this draft, has mentioned
many times, most people out there do not even know the differences
between the different types of RFCs.  It is far more important to
clearly document why this mechanism is being published. So, if you have
comments on the Abstract (e.g., if you think it could be clearer),
please send text.

2) IANA Considerations and relation with the mechanism being developed
in the INSIPID WG

This draft is an individual submission that is being AD sponsored. So,
it is not a product of the INSIPID WG. Note that per the SIP Change
Process documented in RFC 5727, it is perfectly acceptable to register
SIP header fields in this way:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5727#section-4

Therefore, this draft registers the Session-ID header field with the
IANA. The designated expert is reviewing this registration, per the
rules in RFC 5727.

There have been comments regarding the fact that the mechanism being
developed by the INSIPID WG will be backwards compatible with the
mechanism described in this draft. That is a decision the INSIPID WG has
made, although it is not part of the requirements document the WG has
produced. Note that it is completely OK for a WG to decide to meet
additional requirements such as this one while developing a mechanism.

The issue is that, when the INSIPID mechanism is eventually published as
an RFC, it will probably use the same header field name (i.e.,
Session-ID). Therefore, the IANA Registry would need to be updated to
point to that RFC instead of this draft. Updating the IANA registry in
this way when INSIPID completes its charter does not seem to be a
problem. Even if INSIPID, for whatever reason, did not manage to produce
a mechanism in the future, the IANA registry would point to this draft
so that no other RFC could reuse the Session-ID token.

Therefore, there does not seem to be a good reason for delaying the
publication of this draft, considering that 3GPP needs to reference it
in one of its releases and they have tight deadlines.

Comments?

Yeah - playing devil's advocate here, say you have a small group of participants from another SDO that only want this kaplan draft to reach RFC status, say, by sabotaging any further work coming out of a WG (in this case INSIPID) to ensure that their AD-sponsored draft is the only solution that reaches RFC (and I'm not saying 3GPP is doing this, I'm merely playing devil's advocate)... then in publishing this non-WG consensus draft (that's been around for 5 years now) as an RFC before the INSIPID (or any) WG standards-track solution is published as an RFC is undercutting this and any other WG in the same situation?

To quote you from above "...most people out there do not even know the differences between the different types of RFCs..."

In other words, I'm postulating that if a small subset of a WG could get their favorite draft that has (and will) not reach WG consensus published as an RFC, then where exactly is this subset going to benefit from a competing proposal, even if backwards compatible (it's gotta be more complicated to implement, right?), published in "phase II" or any WG?

Said even another way - couldn't this small subset make enough of a stink about the WG draft, once they have gotten their ID published as an RFC, to ensure it will never be published?

Is that really where we want to go as a community?

I'm suggesting that this AD-sponsored draft *not* get published until after the WG solution is published (originally proposed by Dan Romascanu in his Gen-ART review of this draft). Do this, and I believe this problem of getting around any WG intent goes away.

James

Cheers,

Gonzalo

On 04/09/2013 10:41 PM, James Polk wrote:> All

> [...]
> agree to (Robert's agreement is below, Gonzalo's note of agreement is
> the next message on this thread on the INSIPID list).
>
> Basically, as the author of more than 50% of the requirements doc text
> and approximately 70% of the solution doc text (from a 2 draft WG) I'm
> intimately familiar with the topic. We, as a WG, have 2 existing legacy
> drafts that were never intended to reach RFC because they could never
> get any WG to reach consensus on either; I'm referring to
> draft-kaplan-insipid-session-id-00 and
> draft-kaplan-insipid-session-id-03 (neither is compatible the other).
> But, that didn't stop 3GPP from referencing one of the (the -03 version
> of the kaplan draft) - and only a few months ago it was decided in
> INSIPID that we would rather have kaplan-03 as a separate historic RFC
> than an appendix within the existing solution doc currently progressing
> in INSIPID.
>
> But alas, now with this "magical" change, the kaplan-03 _IS_ going to
> become an I-RFC, and it's going to be AD-sponsored, so the authors
> really don't have to abide by the INSIPID WG - and I have a problem with
> that on many levels.
>
> #1 - this bait-and-switch will produce a non-historic RFC, where there
> was NOT any specific call for consensus to do that reassignment on the
> INSIPID list. I deem that a process violation.
>
> #2 - with IETF LC about or actually over, one could interpret any
> failure of the INSIPID WG to produce a standards-track RFC with this
> kaplan-03 document as an informational RFC as INSIPID's meeting some
> measure of success within the WG, and that is not acceptable. Attempting
> to get WG consensus to point #1 would have addressed or at least fleshed
> this out.
>
> #3 - I firmly want what Dan refers to with his Major issue #1 below, in
> that, as a condition of the INSIPID WG successfully documenting a
> standards-track solution, this kaplan-03 draft can then be published -
> perhaps even consecutive RFCs - as an I-RFC that way the INSIPID
> solution RFC(to-be) does all the IANA registration because it has the
> lower RFC number.
>
> #4 - I am firmly opposed to the kaplan-03 draft IANA registering any
> part of the new Session-ID header. I would like to point out that if
> Dan's #1 major issue is worked out, his major issue #2 will also likely
> be worked out as a result of making the changes necessary for major
> issue #1.
>
> The kaplan-03 draft should be written with INSIPID's express plan to
> produce their own solution, with the intention of the kaplan-03 document
> being approved *after* the INSIPID solution is RFC'd.
>
> James
>

>> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:08:26 -0500
>> From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks(_at_)nostrum(_dot_)com>
>> To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca(_at_)avaya(_dot_)com>
>> CC: "gen-art(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org" <gen-art(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>,

"draft-kaplan-insipid-session-id(_dot_)all(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org"