Re: [DNSOP] Practical issues deploying DNSSEC into the home.

2013-09-13 00:11:40

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

On Sep 10, 2013, at 8:17 PM, David Morris <dwm(_at_)xpasc(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

On 11/09/2013 09:59, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:
My colleagues and I worked on OpenWrt routers to get Unbound to work
there, what you need to do is to start DNS up in non-validating mode
wait for NTP to fix time, then check if the link allows DNSSEC answers
through, at which point you can enable DNSSEC validation.

Hopefully you also flush the DNS cache as soon as NTP runs. Even so,
paranoia suggests that a dodgy IP address might still be cached in
some app.

I think you can avoid that issue by having the device not pass traffic
until the DNSSEC validation is enabled. Only the device needs the special
permissive handling for this to work.

You mean only allow NTP and DNS traffic in the beginning, until checks are
done?
In many cases we can get a reasonable time by writing the current time to a
NVRAM variable every 6 hours or so, but that
only helps for reboot.

No, I mean that the Home class gateway device would not accept any
traffic for it's inside network until it has DNSSEC validation and
related NTP setup was completed. This would extend the apparent boot
time a small amount of time relative to other components of the boot
sequence. By not allowing thru traffic, I think the concern about
DNS results being cached on the inside network would be a non-issue.
And the gateway device controls its own cache so flushing it should
not be an issue