Re: Messages to SPFBIS mailing list (was: [spfbis] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19: (with COMMENT))

2013-09-15 20:20:23
Hi Doug,
At 15:58 15-09-2013, Douglas Otis wrote:
This view is fully reasonable using the paradigm SPFbis is just another protocol using DNS. If so, a reference to RFC4033 would be logical and my response would seem off-topic. To clarify, the strong response was aimed specifically at the suggestion this referenced RFC offers a meaningful countermeasure. It does not and can not.

I set the subject in my message to you as "Messages to SPFBIS mailing list". I assumed that it was clear that the topic being discussed in the body of the message was about your messages to the SPFBIS mailing list and the topics being discussed on different threads.

,---
> I'll suggest:
>
>   and see RFC 4033 for a countermeasure.
'---

The above (see the two quoted paragraphs above) is not related to the message at http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/spfbis/current/msg04182.html or any other comments which you posted to the SPFBIS mailing list over the last week. I see part of a message relating to a message from Sean Turner being quoted ( http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/spfbis/current/msg04157.html ).

The reasoning is as follows:

Nothing within RFC4033, or even other recently proposed mitigation strategies, offer remedies or countermeasures that adequately address risks introduced by SPFbis. SPFbis failed to acknowledge some providers will not process macros and extremely few domains publish SPF records containing macros. Adding any number of DNS related references will NOT offer countermeasures able to address network amplifications SPFbis permits for unknown entities. In other words, SPFbis advocates a scheme where more than 222 automated DNS macro driven transactions are to be made by message recipients on behalf of unknown entities.

The message from Sean Turner was about "spoofed DNS". I suggested a reference and Sean Turner mentioned that it would work for him. John Levine also commented and mentioned that he is okay with that. There wasn't anything in the messages about "macros".

The SPFbis process:
  a) Fails to use dedicated resource records
  b) Fails to use naming conventions
  c) Does not limit a large sequence of resource record sizes
  d) Uses macro selected email terms to modify targets which--
     1) inhibits effective caching
     2) increases network amplification potentials (>>3x)
3) increases the number of indirect DNS threat vectors (any system sending email)

From any practical measure, macros have already been deprecated. SPFbis should reflect this reality since not doing so will greatly impact interchange. SPFbis should also go one step further and return "permerror" when resource record sizes are larger than necessary to better ensure against reflected network amplification threats that would imperil DNSSEC/ENDS0.

I previously asked for input about the "macro" issue from anyone who has not commented about it ( http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg82405.html ). I did not receive any input and I did not see any messages relating to what I asked on the SPFBIS mailing list; the latter can be easily verified by reading the SPFBIS mailing list archives.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy