Re: [DNSOP] Practical issues deploying DNSSEC into the home.

2013-09-16 10:50:39
This discussion highlights the importance of making sure that hardware vendors
understand the need for working clocks that can be easily bootstrapped.  In
addition to NTP radio clock receivers are ubiquitous, tiny and ridiculously
cheap.  It is unconscionable that any consumer electronics are sold today that
boast a visible clock without including a radio clock receiver!  This doesn't
fix the mountain of already deployed SOHO gear, but it is time for vendors that
know better (Cisco, Netgear, D-Link, etc.) to do the right thing.

I put entropy in a similar class of problem as radio clock receivers.  There
are a number of reasonable sources for entropy that take up virtually no PCB
space and can be built with a few discrete components (thinking of quantum
effects between 2 transistor gates or zener breakdown noise on a zener diode).
Stronger entropy sources get expensive - but something that provides reasonable
entropy for light crypto should be available on SOHO class network gear.