Re: [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-prismatic-reflections-00.txt]

2013-09-22 15:17:43
On 9/22/13 11:35 AM, Scott Brim wrote:
I like what Christian said. Also, perhaps we should figure out how to
unbundle services and monetize what we can.

On Sep 22, 2013 1:38 PM, "Christian Huitema" <huitema(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com
<mailto:huitema(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com>> wrote:

    >> Yes. $$$. Nobody makes much/any money off email because it is
    >> so de-centralized. People who build wonderful new applications
    >> build them in a centralized way so that they can control them.
    >> And they want to control them so that they can monetize them.
    >
    > That is even true of the large email providers who are happy to
    > provide "free" email in return for being able leverage their
    > other products and/or "sell" the users and user base to
    > advertisers.

    It is very true that innovation can only be sustained with a revenue
    stream. But we could argue that several services have now become
    pretty much standardized, with very little additional innovation
    going on.

There are it most be said enormous economies of scale that are hard to
ignore.

    Those services are prime candidates for an open and
    distributed implementation. I mean, could a WG design a service that
    provides a stream of personal updates and a store of pictures and is
    only accessible to my friends? And could providers make some
    business by selling personal servers, or maybe personal virtual
    servers? Maybe I am a dreamer, but hey, nothing ever happens if you
    don't dream of it!

    -- Christian Huitema