Re: [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-prismatic-reflections-00.txt]

2013-09-22 12:00:00
On Sat, 21 Sep 2013, Dave Crocker wrote:

2) Encourage distributed services over centralized services. For
example, social networking services today are heavily centralized.

+1

Except that essentially all services other than email have gained popularity in centralized form, including IM.

Note that decentralising makes you less anonymous. If everyone runs
their own jabber service with TLS and OTR, you are less anonymous than
today. So "decentralising" is not a solution on its own for meta-data
tracking.

So there appear to be some important and difficult operational and usability barriers, standing in the way of more truly distributed applications.

Because people still think of data centers are the CPUs running the
internet, when they should be thinking of loading up everyone's phones
with these services. These devices are more powerful that our 4U servers
of 10 years ago.

Paul