Re: Review of: draft-resnick-on-consensus-05

2013-10-06 19:47:22
On 10/6/13 4:34 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
On 07/10/2013, at 11:03 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
1. in a natural state; without decoration or other treatment. "a
diamond in the rough"
2. in difficulties. "even before the recession hit, the project was
in the rough"

I think he's using it in the sense that it's used on a golf
course...

I think that's pretty clearly the case, although it might
be confusing in juxtaposition with "rough consensus," where
"rough" means "approximate."  I'm not sure it's a big deal
and I don't want to lawyer the document to death.  We could
spin in circles for years trying to nail down "current practice."
Part of the problem that this document addresses is that some
current practice is anathema to consensus processes, not
because IETF process is wrong and needs modification but
because some chairs, I* folk, etc., aren't very skilled at
managing consensus.

Melinda