Re: Last Call: <draft-resnick-on-consensus-05.txt> (On Consensus and Humming in the IETF) to Informational RFC

2013-10-09 05:21:47
Pete,

As usual, I really like your writing style, and I think you're
addressing a very important issue.  There are two aspects that I would
suggest require further exploration, both having to do with the role of
the chair (the whole document has to do with the role of the chair, I
suppose):

1.  No matter how you slice the definition of rough consensus, if the
chair does not act in a fair and balanced way, the outcome will be
incorrect.  This is what the appeals process is for, and I would suggest
mentioning it, perhaps in some detail.

2.  The case of Section 7 is, as you say, a mind bender.  I would
suggest adding another use case: what if those 100 people write their
own draft.  Can they use the exact same process to get the draft adopted
and approved, so long as they answer the technical issues that arise?
In other words, if there are multiple valid alternatives, and one suits
one vendor group and another suits another, can there be just one
standard?  At the neck of the hourglass, perhaps so?  What happens in
this case, from your point of view?  What makes group (a) more special
than group (b)?

Eliot