Re: Montevideo statement

2013-10-09 01:54:37

On Oct 8, 2013, at 11:44 PM, Andrew Sullivan
<ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com> wrote:

Dear colleagues,

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 10:55:08PM -0700, SM wrote:
This is the second time that the IAB has issued a statement

Speaking only (empahtically only) for myself, I quite strongly
disagree.  The IAB has issued no statement in this case.

The text as posted is quite clear:

---%<---cut here---

"The leaders of organizations … have met"
[…]
Russ Housley, Chair
Internet Architecture Board (IAB)

--->%---cut here---

That does not say that the IAB has issued a statement.  On the
contrary, the IAB did not issue a statement.  I think the difference
between some individuals issuing a statement in their capacity as
chairs and CEOs and so on, and the body for which they are chair or
CEO or so on issuing a similar statement, is an important one.  We
ought to attend to it.

Please note that this message is not in any way a comment on such
leadership meetings.  In addition, for the purposes of this discussion
I refuse either to affirm or deny concurrence in the IAB chair's
statement.  I merely request that we, all of us, attend to the difference
between "the IAB Chair says" and "the IAB says".

It would be highly salubrious if in the future if things that look like open
letters are simply signed by individuals listing their organizational
role/affiliation rather than stating that leaders of the following
organizations support this statement. There is  abundant historical precedent
for that.

Best regards,