Re: Montevideo statement

2013-10-09 01:45:56
Dear colleagues,

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 10:55:08PM -0700, SM wrote:
This is the second time that the IAB has issued a statement

Speaking only (empahtically only) for myself, I quite strongly
disagree.  The IAB has issued no statement in this case.

The text as posted is quite clear:

---%<---cut here---

"The leaders of organizations … have met"
[…]
Russ Housley, Chair
Internet Architecture Board (IAB)

--->%---cut here---

That does not say that the IAB has issued a statement.  On the
contrary, the IAB did not issue a statement.  I think the difference
between some individuals issuing a statement in their capacity as
chairs and CEOs and so on, and the body for which they are chair or
CEO or so on issuing a similar statement, is an important one.  We
ought to attend to it.

Please note that this message is not in any way a comment on such
leadership meetings.  In addition, for the purposes of this discussion
I refuse either to affirm or deny concurrence in the IAB chair's
statement.  I merely request that we, all of us, attend to the difference
between "the IAB Chair says" and "the IAB says".

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com