Re: Montevideo statement

2013-10-09 08:14:55
On Oct 9, 2013, at 6:45 AM, Tobias Gondrom
<tobias(_dot_)gondrom(_at_)gondrom(_dot_)org> wrote:
But I support SM's proposal that it would be good
to do a few days comment period for such important statements in the
future - if timing is not critical. There is no harm in a few days delay
and getting input from the community.

This is a nice theory, but the usual last call time at IETF is either two weeks
or four weeks, not a few days, and that's for a good reason.  I think there is
no way that a statement of the type we are discussing can ever represent IETF
consensus unless we go through an actual consensus call.

So the real question here is, is it ever appropriate for the chair of the IAB
or the chair of the IETF to sign a statement like this without getting
consensus?   I think that's a good question, and I don't have a strong opinion
on the answer.   But if the answer is that we need consensus, then we actually
need to do a consensus call.

The only value I see in "a few days" would be an opportunity for
wordsmithing—as someone pointed out, the current statement could be read as
expressing concern that secrets were leaked, rather than concern about what was
done in secret, and it would have been nice if that wording could have been
corrected.   If that is what you were asking for, then that does make sense.

(thinking out loud...)