RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-08.txt> (Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains) to Proposed Standard

2013-10-14 12:48:46
Not that I am aware of.....

-----Original Message-----
From: SM [mailto:sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net]
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2013 11:20 AM
To: Ronald Bonica
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-08.txt>
(Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains) to Proposed Standard

Hi Ron,
At 16:55 13-10-2013, Ronald Bonica wrote:
Are you suggesting that we don't address the problem because the code
is too complex to touch?

It's a known problem since at least seven years.  Given that the
problem is labelled as a security issue there would have to be some
changes to the specification at some point.  There were design
decisions to implement the specification and the code has been
deployed.  The proposed outbound change is one sentence.  The code
change to implement that one sentence requires reviewing some
implementation decisions (re. encapsulation, etc.).  Please note that I
am not arguing for or against a change in the RFC 2119 key words.  The
write-up only mentions that the draft has been implemented on stateless
firewalls.  I am curious about whether there are any implementations
for a host.

Regards,
-sm