Re: IGOVUPDATE session

2013-10-28 09:56:08
Hi,

Sounds like a good session.

I look forward to it.

avri

On 25 Oct 2013, at 17:21, IETF Chair wrote:

In Orlando, the IAB held a session on what had been going at WCIT. While this
was not a matter of technical work for the IETF, we all did recognise the
impact of policies, treaties, and governance structures on the Internet. The
feedback from the session was positive, and I have asked the IAB to arrange
similar sessions in some upcoming meetings when and if there is interesting
issues to hear about.

In Vancouver we have reserved a slot for "IGOVUPDATE". We had originally
planned the topic for this time to be DNS-related policy issues, largely from
the areas where IETF and ICANN efforts meet. However, since then there has
been many developments and proposals in the Internet governance space, I
think largely inspired by the recent revelations on pervasive monitoring. Or
enabled by the discussion climate caused by them.

With this in mind, we'll begin the session by talking about WHOIS/WEIRDS and
how policies discussed around them may affect the protocol design. But after
that we will also provide a report from the IGF (Internet Governance Forum)
meeting that is being held this week. And finally, discuss whether additional
work is needed and if so, how that might be organised.

The agenda for the meeting is at
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/88/agenda/agenda-88-igovupdate and the chairs
of the session are Marc Blanchet and Andrew Sullivan.

Jari