RE: Review of: Characterization of Proposed Standards

2013-11-01 17:53:32
Hence IETF Proposed Standards are of such quality that they
 are ready for the usual market-based product development and
  deployment efforts into the Internet.

There are too many IETF Proposed Standards for which
this assertion is questionable. Perhaps if we took the time
we could triage, recategorize them as Historic or Experimental.

There is some metadata the IETF wishes to publish about
the IETF's considered opinion as to the quality of a specification
and whether it is ready for market-based product and deployment
efforts. And *that* evaluation depends on operational considerations
such as whether widespread deployment would be disruptive
or benign, and a variety of other factors.

We only have a few bits of information going along with a
published specification (its status as Standard or Proposed ).
If you have more to say than those few bits, we need to say
it in text. In the document itself or somewhere else.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net