Re: Review of: Characterization of Proposed Standards

2013-11-01 17:28:41
Hi Olaf,
At 11:06 31-10-2013, Dave Crocker wrote:
2. I also wonder whether we shouldn't circulate the draft more broadly, outside of the IETF, to request the comments. Will it accomplish what we want it to accomplish?

I'll comment on the above point as I think that it is a good idea.

The problem (as discussed initially) was that it was difficult for the target audience to understand what is a Proposed Standard because of the way it was characterized in RFC 2026. The fix was to have a draft to clarify that.

For that fix to accomplish what we [1] want it to accomplish, it is good to get feedback from the target audience. That target audience is outside the IETF. In my opinion it would be help if the draft was circulated [2] more broadly, i.e. outside the IETF. It entails reaching out to the people and asking them for feedback.

Regards,
-sm

1. I am using the word "we" as it was easier.  It is not the royal "we". :-)

2. I understand that it may not be easy to do that.