RE: Last Call: <C> (On Consensus and Humming in the IETF) to Informational RFC

2013-11-04 09:52:42
Re draft-resnick-on-consensus-06:

my problem with this document is that it misses out on what I've always
considered essential ...

For me, "rough consensus" and "running code" should be taken together, not
independently. I've always taken it as "rough consensus OF THOSE WITH running
code".

I think we want to get the agreement of those who are going to implement and
deploy systems which use the specification -- even if they're not in the room
or not at the meeting or even not on the mailing list.  Those who attend the
meetings and participate on the lists may act as representatives, or might just
have opinions...

I don't think the draft helps clarify this point, at all, since it dwells at
length on "consensus" and "rough consensus" in terms of numbers independent of
the nature of the source.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net