Re: Look who is leading the most important debate affecting democracy

2013-11-05 10:41:45
troll much?

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 3:13 AM, Andre Brisson <abrisson(_at_)wnlabs(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Hi
I worked with Neville out of New Zealand for a while debating whether to use
IETF for standards. I had some misgivings. Got as far as posting patent
notifications on your site and then there were legal issues because engineers
want to change code etc.

Given your choice of key note speakers, knowing nothing about him other than
what he self promotes, kind of confirms my judgement.'

Let's see whether as journalists you are even handed.

Andre Brisson

--

http://wnlabs.com/news/SlashDot_integrity_2.php

The public should question the real motives of Eric Snowden and Bruce
Schneier as well as NSA

By Richard H.L. Marshall, former Director of Global Cyber Security
Management, National Cyber Security Division, Department of Homeland Security
(DHS) and André Brisson, founder Whitenoise Laboratories Canada Inc.

Washington D.C. USA, Geneva, Switzerland and Vancouver, BC Canada – Almost
daily, Mr. Bruce Schneier has generated incessant buzz about privacy and the
National Security Agency (NSA) on his blog. From the sheer volume of his
self-proclaimed insight and that of his sycophants, he would have us believe,
like Chicken Little, that the sky is falling.

It appears that one of the sources of Mr. Schneier’s information are
documents leaked by E.Snowden, fugitive American living in Russia and former
contractor with Booz Allen Hamilton, and Glenn Greenwald, a journalist who
worked with Mr. Snowden. Mr. Schneier’s intentions clearly have nothing to do
with his convictions about privacy, as much as business and profit motives.
It must be emphasized that blogs are not journalism: they are marketing tools
specifically designed to try to sell a product, not to get to the truth.

Weeks of research regarding Mr. Schneier’s claims have highlighted one of the
most frustrating problems with the internet age. Because virtually anyone
lacking serious journalistic credentials can, and often does, write or post
freely on any subject, the resulting sheer volume of information available
may lead people to believe that the reporting is even-handed and
well-researched. Unfortunately, in many circumstances nothing can be farther
from the truth.

We are currently wrestling with the wrongly defined issue of Privacy versus
Security. Rather we should be asking ourselves how we balance Privacy AND
Security. They are not mutually exclusive.

Balancing privacy and security is one of the most pressing issues of our age,
with far-reaching impact on democracy. It is also ever changing and evolving
in real time, in response to terrorists, criminals, and dangerous
malcontents. Because the very information analyzed and evaluated may result
in policy, it absolutely demands that such information be subject to the
highest and most stringent scrutiny and as such, deserves to be evaluated and
vetted by verified experts, politicians, business leaders, and citizens with
proven track records of integrity, honesty, and true concern for the public
interest. It should not be done by those with a history of practicing
self-interest over privacy and security.

For many weeks, it has been noted that volumes of proselytizing and
dissemination of “opinion-as-fact” come from unverified information through
Mr. Schneier’s self-promoting blog, other blogs and various online sites,
such as gamer’s sites, of unknown, dubious reputation and/or expertise in the
critical areas of cryptography and privacy and not from reputable
publications as The New York Times or The Washington Post.

Mr. Schneier decries the NSA and mandated law enforcement agencies empowered
by our laws. Yet, Mr. Schneier’s track record shows, significantly, that at
least twice over the last decade he has turned a blind eye to workable
security (but he complains about privacy.) He has actively engaged in
disparaging workable security and communications for his own benefit, and
most callously, withheld this information from both his readers and his
current employers.

As citizens and through our elected officials, we empower politicians with
the creation of agencies and tools that are designed to protect us from the
aforementioned threats. The system is not perfect, and must be updated and
adjusted as times, technology and threats change. But we are all endangered
if these various public servants are hobbled and cannot do their job. This is
why Bruce Schneier’s style of journalism and lack of scientific integrity is
dangerous.

The primary cause for drifting a bit from original mandates of our law
enforcement and defense agencies is a product of rapidly changing technology,
the sheer volume of communications, and the exploding threats environment.
These agencies have been pressured to react faster than policy can adapt.
Part of the answer lies in using the improved security technology we have
available to combat the fatal flaws of public key and asymmetric network
systems and the algorithms that are currently used to encrypt our data.  The
other part lies in following the existing FISA protocols currently in place
and improving them as need dictates to insure that telecommunication
providers, law enforcement and intelligence agencies interface with the LAW
and follow the spirit of our constitution as intended.

In conclusion, as we best try to answer the most pressing question of our
day, “How do we balance  between Privacy and Security?” we believe that a key
element of serving our democracies is the judicious evaluation of information
written by true journalists using properly researched and sourced information
and publishing them in reputable publications without hidden agendas. The
collective conversation should not ping pong between extreme positions but
rather recognize that privacy and security are both demanded by the
constitution. With new technologies and considered thinking, privacy and
security can be balanced and achieved easily and inexpensively.

Learn more about Bruce Schneier’s current track record through “The Challenge
That Black Hat Would Not Take but DEFCON Did” at:
http://wnlabs.com/news/challengeDEFCON.php and
http://wnlabs.com/news/Schneier_Challenge_Clock.php.

Learn more about Bruce Schneier’s past track record at:
http://www.wnlabs.com/WhitenoiseSecurityChallenge/ and The History of
Whitenoise Can't Be Broken

For more information contact Richard H.L. Marshall at E-Mail:
rmarshall(_at_)wnlabs(_dot_)com
or visit: www.wnlabs.com

Mr. Marshall previously was a member of the Senior Cryptologic Executive
Service (SCES) and the Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service (DISES).
He was the Director of Global Cyber Security Management, National Cyber
Security Division, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) by special
arrangement between the Director, National Security Agency (DIRNSA) and the
Secretary of DHS. Within DHS he directed the National Cyber Security
Education Strategy, the Software Assurance, the Research and Standards
Integration, and Supply Chain Risk Management programs. He was previously the
Senior Information Assurance (IA) Representative, Office of Legislative
Affairs at the National Security Agency (NSA) where he served as the Agency's
point of contact for all NSA Information Security (INFOSEC) matters
concerning Congress. He devised the IA legislative strategy, helped shape the
passage of the revised Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and was a key
contributor to the Bush and Oba!
 ma administration's Comprehensive National Cyber Security Initiative (CNCI).

André Brisson conceived Whitenoise and founded Whitenoise Laboratories Canada
Inc. (WNL) to exploit revolutionary and patented security technology. He was
listed by the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and the
first US National Cyber Leap Year Summit as belonging in the top 100 cyber
security and cryptography experts.