Re: Clarifying Russ's hums

2013-11-06 16:34:03
On 07/11/2013 11:12, Roberto Peon wrote:
At least one of the questions (and probably two of 'em) for which we hummed
was unclear enough that I couldn't interpret it as a policy statement.

In particular: "The IETF should strive for e2e encryption even when there
are middleboxes in the path":
 - encryption with/without privacy?
 - encryption with/without authentication?
 - do authorized/explicit middleboxes count?

This is too ambiguous for me to interpret in any meaningful way :/

I think the word "strive" is the key. According to Merriam-Webster
(where it's shot into the top 10% of lookups for some reason) it means
"to devote serious effort or energy" to something. I don't see that
we need to resolve all the ambiguities before we adopt the goal
of striving for e2e encryption.

Also could you define what you mean by 'privacy'?

   Brian

-=R

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Scott Brim