Re: Last Call: <draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-03.txt> (IETF Guidelines for Conduct) to Best Current Practice

2013-11-07 18:29:54
On 11/6/13 18:20 , S Moonesamy wrote:
Hi Arturo,
At 14:23 06-11-2013, Arturo Servin wrote:
I notice that there are not mention of forbidding any kind of
harassment in your draft (or may be I oversight it). Perhaps this
could be a good place to introduce the anti-harassment policy and to
get consensus on it.

The lack of any mention of harassment is intentional.  Harassment is a
serious matter.  It is much more than about transgressing the guidelines
for conduct.  In theory someone might be able to take legal action
against the IETF or the person responsible.  In simple terms the IETF
guidelines for conduct is to "play nice".

In my personal opinion it would be better not to discuss about
harassment in the draft.  I am open to adding text if the document
shepherd recommends it.

In general I agree with keeping the particular issue of harassment out of the draft. However, there are some concepts in the Anti-Harassment Policy that may be worthy of including. I believe the first paragraph of the policy is an excellent summary of what the guidelines intend to achieve.

   IETF meetings, virtual meetings, and mailing lists are intended for
   professional collaboration and networking. The IETF strives to
   create and maintain an environment in which people of many different
   backgrounds are treated with dignity, decency, and respect. Those
   who participate in the IETF are expected to behave according to
   professional standards and demonstrate appropriate workplace
   behavior.

I'm not suggesting you simply insert that text, but maybe ensure all of the ideas or concepts are embodied within the draft. In particular I'd like to see the concepts of "professional standards" and/or "workplace behavior" more directly included.

Additionally, a little shot of the "Golden Rule" wouldn't hurt either, its always a good idea to remind people think about how they would want to be treated if the roles were reversed.

Finally, in my opinion, part of being "professional" is to apologize when from time-to-time we each act in an unprofessional manne, we all fail occasionally. And, regarding Appendix A, a simple polite request for an apology is frequently the most professional, appropriate, and expeditious coarse of action.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952