Re: Pervasive surveilance isn't an attack, it is a cancer; mandatory encryption doesn't cure it

2013-11-18 14:37:35
Stephen, Larry:

if we turn on
more and better security to make pervasive monitoring significantly
more expensive, then we also gain better security against other
attackers as well

This is one of the keys in the discussion, in my opinion. I do not believe we
should react to specific revelations alone - at best those describe a situation
at a fixed point in time. But we do need to realise that the Internet is pretty
vulnerable to a large class of attacks. I think we should improve the
situation.

As for the how - I think cryptographic protection for a bigger fraction of
Internet traffic is a necessity. Of course there are many tradeoffs to exactly
how we go about that - and I think we're having exactly the right discussions
about those tradeoffs in various lists. It is not an easy choice. But it is one
that we need to get to the bottom of.

Jari