Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

2013-12-03 23:58:01
At 09:48 03-12-2013, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack'
  <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> as Best Current Practice

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2013-12-31. Exceptionally, comments
may be

First of all, I'll thank Mary Barnes for the minutes.

According to the minutes "the [removed] has turned the Internet into a
giant surveillance platform".  Quoting some extracts:

  "This is the lessons of the [removed]'s attempt to collect contact
   lists from the Internet backbone.  If you saw the data, they got
   about ten times as much information from [removed] users than from
   [removed] users, even though I'm sure the ratio of users is the
   reverse.  The reason?  [removed] uses SSL by default; [removed] does
   not."

I don't see anything in draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02 which might mitigate the above.

An interesting point from the minutes is:

 "there was no cost to cooperate because your cooperation would be secret.
  Now companies have to assume that it will be public.  There's been huge
  losses of sales, mostly foreign, hardware manufacturers, software, cloud
  providers.  And there is a PR benefit in fighting.  And more companies
  are realizing that."

It looks like it will be embarrassing for companies caught collaborating with the adversaries.

The minutes mentioned that:

  "We were safer when our email was at 10,000 ISPs than when it's
   at ten. Fundamentally, it makes it easier for the NSA and others
   to collect.  So anything to disperse targets makes sense."

There was an interesting comment:

   "The other thing is that we need to kind of actually work on
    describing the threat model in a way that would be useful to
    people doing work in the IETF."

And:

  "First of all, I think it's pretty clear that in the past, we
   have considered certain attacks improbable.  I think it is now clear
   that any attack we can imagine is sufficiently probable that we can --
   should consider it."

And:

  "All people want to protect the privacy.  However, there are
   tradeoffs.  One danger I feel is, if we put too strong encryption
   then probably some government would not try to connect Internet
   directly."

Most of the discussion was about encrypting as much as possible. It is difficult to determine whether going for full-blown encryption will motivate some government not to allow direct connections to the Internet. At the enterprise level, it is likely that the network people will want to prohibit direct connections. Schools usually seek to do that as students are not that studious when they are given full access to the Internet.