Re: 6lowpan and metering infrastructure

2013-12-14 04:17:21

Erhan,

Regardless on how you collect and aggregate meter data which is more in the
application layer, 6LoWPAN provides you the benefits of having a uniform and
"standard" platform with IPv6 support for the network layer.

You can still use multiple communication technologies such as low power radios
and aggregate data in a concentrator unit to be queried by your control center
via 3G or Ethernet.

Now if your "concentrator" also serves as a gateway to each subnetwork of
close-by meters, the individual meters will be reachable via IPv6 and give your
control center the ability to send control commands and query them for data if
needed. I assume that your concentrator unit has more resources than a meter
and the volume of data is not substantial, then you will not have a lot more
processing load on it or your control center infrastructure.

I agree with Samita that if you can share more specific details of your
application to the WG you will give them a chance to evaluate the requirements
of another real case scenario for the application of 6LoWPAN.

Regards
-Jorge

On Dec 13, 2013, at 5:39 AM, Erhan Küçükgüzel