Re: Last call comments: draft-farrell-perpass-attack

2013-12-14 11:03:02
Personally, I think all (new) IETF documents need a greater review in regards to their ethical and moral impact on society. But I don't see a solution other than to note that its been considered.

In my strong opinion, no doubt, there has been a far greater conflict of interest influence with fast tracking production going on. Without a doubt, a greater filtering of the concerns and input and the current leaders are no longer shy on bringing down the hammer on folks who have issues to the extent of accusing them of WG disruption. (See all the new behavior control drafts). I have no real problem with this near form of rubber stamping as long at the ethical issues and conflict of interest are reduced.

To me, this draft is not entirely clear in what it seeks. It certainly highlights that pervasive monitoring is a problem, but we always knew it was a problem since the annals of electronic communications. To developers who help enabled this market, we already new it was all possible. The difference was the moral and ethical engineering, the taboos, the can of worms, engineers did not wish to introduce.

That has changed. For whatever many security, national and BI reasons, the market is leveraging the long time availability of publicly exposed information over the wire, but now to a greater extent, even private information in FULL DUPLEX MODE!

One current example which has people worked up recently in Facebook in regards to their "pervasive monitoring" of your Facebook user draft comments input before it is "officially" sent!!

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/12/facebook_self_censorship_what_happens_to_the_posts_you_don_t_publish.html

What can this draft "teach" the designers of such software which was always possible but considered an industry taboo?

I don't think any technical steps can be taking here by any WG for future or current proposals on the table. This is purely about morals and ethics.

Can you imagine if all the MUAs vendors deciding to follow suit and begin to leverage your draft email replies to this IETF discussion group!?

--
HLS