Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-number-registries-02.txt> (Internet Numbers Registries) to Informational RFC

2014-01-07 14:04:02
Geoff,

On Jan 7, 2014, at 11:20 AM, Geoff Huston <gih(_at_)apnic(_dot_)net> wrote:
In all three cases you are proposing to change "are handled" to "are
currently handled"

Yep.

Could you kindly explain the rationale for this proposed change in wording,
as the subtle distinction between the two terms is, I'm afraid, somewhat lost
on me.

RFC 7020 describes the Internet Numbers Registry as it exists today and talks
about the evolution system, indicating that the system "can evolve to meet the
changing demands of the global Internet community."  As this draft bills itself
as a companion to 7020, indicating that the various allocation and registration
functions are _currently_ performed by the RIRs (implying that this might
change in the future as the system evolves) seems appropriate.  I've found
(particularly with experiences related to RFC 2050) that is is useful to be
explicit about the distinction between "current" and an implied "permanent".

Regards,
-drc