Re: Upcoming change to announcement email header fields (using old header)

2014-01-10 04:18:09

--On Friday, January 10, 2014 00:36 -0600 Pete Resnick
<presnick(_at_)qti(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 1/9/14 11:24 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

However, despite the fact that group syntax, including that
for empty lists, has been part of the mail header specs for
well over 30 years, we know that many systems have had
trouble with messages that contain only an empty group
indication.  Those systems are not just non-conforming MUA or
mailstore implementations (or MTAs that violate the SMTP spec
and look at headers in transit) or antispam systems of
various qualities. They including a variety of coded and ad
hoc mail classification and filtering arrangements that may
require special arrangements for such addresses.   Given the
risks and potential problems, I'd like to hear a little more
justification for switching to group syntax...

John, several people were spoken to, including myself, and my
understanding along with what I heard of the current
collective wisdom was that the number of such custom coded
systems that would be adversely affected by an empty group
address in the To: field and actual addresses in the From: and
would be exceedingly small and at pretty low risk. So my
recommendation to the tools team was to go ahead with the
experiment.

If this is an experiment, the announcement doesn't make that
clear.  There is no statement of how to report issues that can't
easily be fixed, etc., just a date certain for the switchover.

As to "exceedingly small", are you measuring percentages?
Absolute numbers?  How many contributors and reviewers is the
IESG prepared to lose if they can't get announcements with a
reasonable amount of effort?  A few hundred (a small number
relative to the size of the IETF-Announce distribution)?  A few
dozen (an "exceedingly small" number on the same scale)?  Ten?

than the apparent "the IESG  decided on this and is
announcing it to the community".

Most of the IESG was not involved in "deciding" this. The
tools team worked with Barry and I, and we all consulted with
other folks (well known to you) and recommended the experiment
go forward. And to address your later comment: We don't want
tools work (or other administrative activities) to require
open IETF list discussions for every change, so sometimes the
admin folks will consult with senior and experienced members
of the community and go ahead with experiments of this sort.
That it came out as an "IESG" announcement in this case is
really accidental: The tools team asked the IESG for its
approval (and the Apps ADs' advice) because the email messages
at issue were IESG announcements. But this was far from some
sort of super-secret top-down pronouncement. I'm sorry that it
appeared that way.

(3) If someone actually does discover that they have a problem
and are dependent on a third-party supplier to get it
patched, 2 1/2 weeks are unlikely to be sufficient.

Fair enough. I think extending the experiment would not be a
big deal.

Again, the announcement didn't imply an experiment to me, only a
"here it comes, get ready or be prepared to lose" declaration.