Re: [tsvwg] [mpls] OT (was Re: draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp was RE: gre-in-udp draft (was: RE: Milestones changed for tsvwg WG))

2014-01-16 10:11:08

In message
<b09d482e8df3c33f97fa0c26a40393b8(_dot_)squirrel(_at_)www(_dot_)erg(_dot_)abdn(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
gorry(_at_)erg(_dot_)abdn(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk writes:

You may care to reference this to Section 2.2 of RFC 6936, which provides
some background to where UDP-Lite may help, and some of the potential
pitfalls.

Gorry

The right tool for the job but ...

Expect some pushback because older hardware looks at TCP and UDP in
the protocol field and then checks port numbers for ECMP load
balance.  That older hardware will not do this for UDP-Lite.

With MPLS over UDP, only the dest port number matters and the src port
number can be used like the MPLS Entropy Label.  That is about the
only thing that would not work in some networks with UDP-Lite.

IMHO it would be advantageous to provide the option to use UDP-Lite
rather than UDP with no checksum at all.  The section in RFC 6936
could be cited.  The limitation I mentioned could also be cited.

Curtis

Or perhaps UDP heavy with a FCS at the end and no checksum at all.

You do make a good point that perhaps UDP lite should be mentioned in
MPLS over UDP as an option.

Curtis

In message
<290E20B455C66743BE178C5C84F1240847E63346CB(_at_)EXMB01CMS(_dot_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk writes:

you've got the perfect application to encourage UDP lite adoption and
deployment here.

Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood