Re: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp-04.txt> (Encapsulating MPLS in UDP) to Proposed Standard

2014-01-24 12:51:42

On 1/23/2014 6:31 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
Joe, while your argument is internally consistent, it is not consistent
with history.

That's also why we're not exchanging email over X.25. We learn and move on.

However, the fact that tunnel heads ought to act like hosts is an issue I've been raising in the IETF for over 15 years, and was the primary reason why I argued for transport mode support in routers for tunneling (see RFC 3884).

We have not demanded that tunnel entries behave fully
like source hosts for any of the other myriad kinds of tunnels we have
done over the years.

That has been a continual mistake, one that a group was formed in 2005 to address, which resulted in an INTAREA document on this:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-touch-intarea-tunnels-01

That doc has been fallow for a while largely because the problem and its complexity hasn't been fully appreciated. We're hoping to correct that and revive it, FWIW.

If we take your logic as stated, then the usage of IPSec over UDP would
be required to apply congestion control unless it knew that all the
content traffic was TCP.  Is that really your intent?

Yes, and that's already what RFC 5405 says. The fact that IPsec-UDP encap doesn't address this is because RFC 3948 predates RFC 5405.

This document (mpls-in-udp) does not, however.

Joe

Yours,
Joel