Re: When is an idea a good idea?

2014-01-30 08:17:25
----- Original Message -----
From: "Spencer Dawkins" <spencerdawkins(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Cc: "IETF discussion list" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:45 PM
I'm replying to Brian and to Scott here ...

Hi Spencer,

I think there's a bit more to be said, though.

The goal is to make the Internet work better, not to make
private networks work better. Actually RFC 3935 defines
the IETF's scope as: "protocols and practices for which
secure and scalable implementations are expected to have
wide deployment and interoperation on the Internet, or to
form part of the infrastructure of the Internet."

So if there are two ways of doing something, one of which
works globally and one of which only works locally, the choice
is a no-brainer. If a local-only solution comes up to the IESG,

I couldn't agree with Brian and Scott more. I'm focusing on "comes up
the IESG".

My point is that the sooner someone asks "so, is this really intended
for deployment on the global Internet?", the better. If working groups
and authors thought about that before, or even during, WGLC time, I
would like to think that we would have fewer cases where the question
is
asked for the first time in AD review, or in directorate reviews, or
in
IETF Last Call.

Spencer

By this criterion, would MPLS ever have entered the Standards Track?

It is a protocol that works supremely well within the private network of
an ISP; extending it to work across the Internet worldwide is more of a
challenge and, from what I recall, was not contemplated at the time of
RFC3031.

Tom Petch

I don't think it's controversial at all that the IETF does better when
documents don't encounter Late Surprises (tm). If the first time
someone
says "but this is only intended to be used when $whatever" is in an
email exchange during IETF Last Call, that's a Late Surprise, and the
chances that the best outcome will happen aren't going up at that
point.

As I said in my note, this is my personal suggestion. I'm not asking
for
an Applicability Statement as a mandatory section in all IDs,
precisely
because of Brian's point that the default is "this proposal is
suitable
for deployment on the global Internet". I'm asking working groups and
authors to consider whether that's true for their proposals, or if I
should be reviewing with something else in mind.

And as always, I encourage people to Do The Right Thing.

Spencer

I think the first question is "Why isn't there a globally
applicable solution to this problem?". Then the second question
is "Why is this on the standards track, rather than being an
informational document for the record?". And the third question
is "Why is this better as an IETF document rather than an
Independent Submission?".

There may be perfectly good answers to those questions, but
IMHO they need to be asked.

Regards
    Brian