Re: When is an idea a good idea?

2014-01-29 23:57:17

On Jan 28, 2014, at 3:14 PM, Spencer Dawkins
<spencerdawkins(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Speaking only for myself, I don't expect Proposed Standards to be perfect,
and to work perfectly in every situation, but if a specification doesn't
describe any limits on applicability, I'm going to be evaluating it as if it
will be used on the open Internet (that's what the "I" in "IETF" stands for).

Speaking for myself, I expect any solution that exists to be used on the open
Internet. This is primarily because history says "they are", but also because
many supposedly private networks in fact operate environments that aren't so
very different from the open Internet. My reference point for that second
factoid-from-my-perspectve is my employer's network, whose network dwarfs
anything we had deployed in 1990 and probably what we had deployed in 1995,
including managed private interconnection to (I'm told) O(200) other companies
and VPN access from computers via VPN (such as I am typing on right now) and
from home office networks via VPN. Every company isn't Cisco, but I think you
may be surprised how many have similarities - I'd guess that Fortune 1000
enterprise networks have strong structural similarities.

If you wouldn't use a solution, or a mitigated version of a solution, on the
open Internet, I'm not so very sure I would recommend it to my IT department or
my customers.