Re: Make it a Proposed Method rather than Proposed Standard [Re: When is an idea a good idea?]

2014-02-02 04:28:02
On Saturday, February 1, 2014, Hector Santos wrote:

Hi Chris,

How does the IETF feel about having "multiple standards" of the same
thing, in other words, redundancy?

How many? It depends on the use case, so for one use case the IETF SHOULD
have a one decision proposal.

I don't think we generally want that, and I don't think we want "bad"
ideas becoming standards because it becomes harder and costly to undue.

There may be bad ideas backed by experts and evaluated good just because
presented by experts or known persons.

However, we do need to document them too as well to allow people to try
them out.  So if the authors don't wish to make it, EXPERIMENTAL, BCP or
INFORMATIONAL,  a better option is to further it as a Proposed Method
rather than get bounce around, wasting so much time as a Proposed Standard
where Rough Consensus decisions is more problematic than ever before.

IMHO making it start as method directly may be allowed only in the general
area. For other areas any new method should start as informational and
passed then updated to method proposal. Any informational method need an
approved standard pointed to.

Keep in mind there is also the "politics" part of it too of getting things
pushed and supported. Once a proposed standard starts, you might as well
"forget" about other possible solutions.  They might not be allowed.
 However, I am seen them also used to weaken and even destroy PS efforts -
raises doubt, etc, which is good when it shouldn't had been a PS in the
first place.

We SHOULD solve the politics problem in IETF because it is a BAD behaviour
as you mentioned its influences. The general area should solve that by
new BCPs.

A PM would be easier I feel to pursue with less "politics," IMO.  A lesser
peer review process. Experimental and informational are too weak.

IMHO, They are not weak, that is part of politics may be as well.

  If we took "Best" out of BCP, then perhaps a CP would be closer to a PM
or Internet Method (IM).  It just isn't the only, close-ended standard.

Agree but it needs some new process procedure.

Perhaps it should be made clearer that a BCP or Proposed Standard is not
absolute in the IETF as far as solutions are concern.

Disagree.

The suggestion is to provide a way to document strong multiple solutions
which may not necessary the "standard" or "best" solution.

You may mean strong possible multiple solutions related to possible
applicability statements.

no solution method proposed only if it is related to an
IETF standard or BCP. Each method should need informational document
related passed the updated to method.

Personally, I would write more documents, get involved more with PM
documents. PS are too hard. Too stressful and time consuming and the
others, like BCP is just the wrong category. Maybe take away the B from CP
and we got it. :)

Yes agree,

Thanks for your feedback.

--