Re: Revision to Note Well

2014-02-06 14:18:58
* Richard Barnes wrote:
The IESG would like to put forward a revision to the proposed new Note
Well, after some discussion both on the IETF list [1] and within the IESG.

The revised text can be found on the IESG wiki:
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/DraftNoteWellSummary>

I like http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html better by an order of
magnitude or so. I would suggest taking the old version and adding the
parentheticals like in "BCP 79 (on patents covering IETF documents)",
though perhaps as "(on patents and patent disclosure obligations)".

As an example,

  A participant in any IETF activity acknowledges that written, audio
  and video records of meetings may be made and may be available to
  the public.

versus

  You understand that meetings might be recorded or broadcast (audio
  or video), photographed, and publicly archived.

The current version makes me think about whether I want to give my per-
mission, while the latter just informs me of an obvious possibility.

(As an aside, 'summary "Note Well"' does not make it clear if this is
supposed to be a replacement of the "Note Well", or a summary of it.)
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern(_at_)hoehrmann(_dot_)de ·
http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de