Eating the dog food

2014-02-21 08:57:01
We have a lot of security protocols that the IETF does not deploy on its
own sites.

There is thus a push from many quarters to have the IETF eat its own dog
food which is of course an excellent idea.

But could I just point out that the point is not to eat the dog food so as
to convince ourselves just how tasty and yummy it is. The value of a dog
food program comes when the manufacturer realizes that there is a reason
the dogs don't like it and changes the recipe.

Without feedback, the process is like doing usability evaluations in a lab
and taking no notice of the outcomes.

I am seeing a lot of groups demanding the IETF eat the dog food but rather
fewer asking why they dog food isn't being eaten.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/